6 Reduce child mortality
Where we are?
Following the war, under-five child mortality was estimated at 267 out of 1,000births, the highest in the world but fell to 174 in 2010. This is a major achievement and with an increased effort, Sierra Leone may be able to reach the target of 95 by 2015. A similar downward trend has been witnessed with infant mortality in Sierra Leone.
Sierra Leone's free healthcare initiative, launched in April 2010, is designed to tackle the country's high maternal and child mortality rates. It abolishes medical fees and provides drugs and treatments free of charge in every public health facility in the country for pregnant women, lactating mothers and children under five. The initiative has helped to create and maintain momentum for progress toward this Goal.
Although positive strides have been made to reduce child mortality in the country, a holistic approach to meeting the MDGs includes the following:
- Scaling up of child and infant health and newborn care interventions, including integrated management of newborn and childhood illnesses.
- Increasing and sustaining immunization coverage of all antigens to 80% and above using the reaching every district approach.
- Improving human resource development for effective delivery in pediatric health care.
- Provision of infrastructure, including housing facilities, for health personnel.
- Provision of logistics, equipment, medicines and medical supplies.
- Greater awareness raising through effective information dissemination, education and communication practices.
UNDP's work in Sierra Leone
The newly appointed Minister of Local Government and Rural development (MLGRD), Hon Mrs. Diana Konomanyi has commissioned a rural market and a Community Resource Centre formore
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), in partnership with the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources (MEWR), UNICEF and Muloma Womens Development Association (MUWODA), a Community Basedmore
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG4
- Reduce by two thirds the mortality rate among children under five
- Under-five mortality rate
- Infant mortality rate
- Proportion of 1 year-old children immunised against measles